News at La Vega High School

The Pirate Press

Filed under Features

Who is our Returning La Vega Grad?

Ms. Gravitt is full of surprises! She just so happens to be a returning La Vega graduate and has in fact lived in Waco all her life. As she herself stated, “Once a pirate, always a pirate.” Did you know she worked as an interpreter in sign language at several schools before becoming an educator herself? It was the goal of getting to know and help students on a more personal level that finally brought her to the decision to become a counselor. Ms. Gravitt started at MCC where she got two associates degrees then transferred to The University of Houston to get her Bachelors in Psychology. After she graduated from there she applied at Texas A&M and received her master’s degree in Education Psychology.

Ms. Gravitt first decided to be an interpreter when she took a class on sign language in college and fell in love with it. She then got a degree as a sign language interpreter and began working in the school system with students that needed translators. After being a translator for a while, Ms. Gravitt decided to get her teaching degree and became an educator.  She taught 5th grade science at a south Waco middle school and later on at our very own primary school for two years before going forward and becoming a counselor.

Even though Ms. Gravitt has been a translator, educator and now a counselor, this just so happens to be her first year as a school counselor. However, Ms. Gravitt is more than qualified for this position because beforehand she had worked as a college and career advocate at Waco High. Each day she is learning more about how the school works and how best to help our students; Ms. Gravitt herself described it to be a very fast, good, and rewarding experience.

Evidently, when Ms. Gravitt switched careers there were quite a bit of differences between the two careers that would take some getting used to. One thing in particular that Ms. Gravitt mentioned she missed was not being in the classroom anymore. “When you teach for a couple of years you get used to having several students at once, as a counselor, students just come and go.” Though being a counselor also has its perks, such as getting to know so many students that come from different backgrounds and cultures, they make her job fun and interesting.

Ms. Gravitt especially loves to work with students on different levels. While she enjoyed teaching she loves this more because of the opportunity counselors have of learning students on a more personal level, not just academically. She hopes to still be here in five years because of how much she enjoys it and how it has helped her see things from different aspects and not be one minded. Ms. Gravitt looks forward to learning more about our school and its students as well as helping in any way that she can for students to succeed.

1 Comment

One Response to “Who is our Returning La Vega Grad?”

1. Jimmie Carey on February 16th, 2017 10:19 PM

Ms.gravity,is the best thing lavega isd every did,by hiring her.she is a wonderful counsler.she actually listens,and helps the students as well as parents.I am so glad she is my daughter’s counsler.I hope that she will be the counsler next year for 11/12 grade.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Who is our Returning La Vega Grad?

Features

The Social Work Warrior

• Who is our Returning La Vega Grad?

Features

The Educated Sydnor

• Who is our Returning La Vega Grad?

Features

Meet Ms. Barcelona: AVID Coordinator

• Who is our Returning La Vega Grad?

Features

Ms. Speer’s Students are “The Good Stuff”

• Who is our Returning La Vega Grad?

Features

Mr. Ruiz, Inspiring and Touching Hearts

• Who is our Returning La Vega Grad?

Features

Ms. Lange: Passion for Roller Skating

• Who is our Returning La Vega Grad?

Features

Getting to Know Ms. Contreras

• Who is our Returning La Vega Grad?

Features

Axtell Longhorn Becomes a La Vega Pirate

• Who is our Returning La Vega Grad?

Features

Mr. Shuttlesworth, the Professional Juggler

• Who is our Returning La Vega Grad?

Features

The One and the Only Ms. Conrad

News at La Vega High School
Who is our Returning La Vega Grad?