News at La Vega High School

The Pirate Press

Filed under Features

Ms. Speer’s Students are “The Good Stuff”

La Vega High School has a new staff member named Ms. Misty Speer. Ms. Speer is now an English 1 Honors and English 3 teacher. Before choosing to work at La Vega High School, she worked for the Gatesville Independent School District for seventeen years. Ms. Speer worked in the technology department for eight years, while earning her degree. Ms. Speer has taught computer classes, speech, resource English, and senior English. Ms. Speer also was the yearbook sponsor, senior class sponsor, and CATE coordinator for a couple of years.

Ms. Speer grew up in Dallas, Texas, and was raised by a single mother. She has one sister who has had a kidney transplant. She attended and graduated from Duncanville ISD. She always thought she wanted to be a nurse, then she realized later in life that teaching was her calling. Ms. Speer contemplated leaving the classroom to become a school counselor or administrator, but realized it would be a mistake because she would miss the kids she teaches too much.  Her biggest pet peeve is when a student pops their gum in class.

The reason Ms. Speer stayed at Gatesville was that her children attended school there. Her children are all grown now, with the last one attending college. This gave her the freedom to leave the district and come join us at La Vega. She has been married to her soul mate for twenty-three years, and they have together raised four children.  She values her family and loves to spend time with them, her treasure in life is her family.

The reason Ms. Speer became a teacher was to change lives, but if she could have another job for just a day, she would probably be a coach. She always tells her kids that they are the best part of her job, without them, she would not have a purpose in the school building. Her students are “THE GOOD STUFF” about her job. I asked Ms. Speer what she liked about La Vega and she said, “I love the people. I believe in their philosophies and find that the students are very eager to learn, loving, and loyal.”

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Ms. Speer’s Students are “The Good Stuff””

1. Opal Smith on October 3rd, 2017 3:44 PM

Misty Speer is a wonderful teacher and an all around great person who makes the world a better place with her generous, kind , loving spirit!.

[Reply]

Misty Speer Reply:

Thank you Opal Smith! You are such a doll and I appreciate our friendship.

[Reply]

2. Kenzie Winkler on October 3rd, 2017 4:06 PM

Misty is such an amazing person. I could always count on her to help me… even if I wasn’t enrolled in her class. She was a busy woman but ALWAYS put time aside to help others. I have so much love for this woman and her family and wish her the best at La Vega!

[Reply]

Misty Speer Reply:

Thank you Kenz! Such sweet comments from a super sweet girl! I hope all is well with you and college. Call me if you need anything. Love you!

[Reply]

3. Karlee Chastain on October 3rd, 2017 9:32 PM

One of the greatest and most caring teachers we had in Gatesville! Always had the biggest smile on her face everyday and would help any student she could that would come to her with a problem.

[Reply]

4. Mary Bruton on October 5th, 2017 6:14 AM

She is an amazing teacher! She kept food for kids so they weren’t hungry. She should write a book on her organization skills…perfect! Love and miss her at G’ville.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Ms. Speer’s Students are “The Good Stuff”

Features

The Social Work Warrior

Features

The Educated Sydnor

Features

Meet Ms. Barcelona: AVID Coordinator

Features

Mr. Ruiz, Inspiring and Touching Hearts

Features

Ms. Lange: Passion for Roller Skating

Features

Getting to Know Ms. Contreras

Features

Axtell Longhorn Becomes a La Vega Pirate

Features

Mr. Shuttlesworth, the Professional Juggler

Features

The One and the Only Ms. Conrad

Features

The Inside Scoop on Mr. Pecina

News at La Vega High School