The Pirate Press

Filed under Features

Ms. Harris Strives to Balance Career & Family

Ms. Harris is an Algebra II teacher here at La Vega High School. She does teach a couple Algebra I courses, but primarily teaches Algebra II. Ms. Harris has been teaching since 2008, but not here at La Vega. Prior to teaching, she’s worked in finance and accounting at a bank.

She was looking to relocate to a city that was not too big or too small. Waco fit the bill. “La Vega reminds me of my high school,” said Ms. Harris with enthusiasm. It is understandable that she would want a larger town to live in because she grew up in a small town with only one high school that was about the size of La Vega. Ms. Harris really likes the support of upper-level administration, most schools interact very little with upper management.

When asked the question, why did you become a teacher? She answered very sincerely with “I wanted to be the teacher I never had. I dreaded math, mainly because of my teachers. I want to teach students that they can accomplish math if they try.”

Growing up, she wanted to be an accountant or lawyer. She said that she likes dealing with numbers and money. One question she was asked was “If you could do another job for just one day, what would it be?” She responded that she wasn’t sure.

She is a passionate math teacher by day; mother, wife, and best friend every other time. Ms. Harris spends all her time pleasing others. In her words, “I leave my personal self on the back burner.” She and her spouse have five children. An eighteen-year-old, seventeen-year-old, eight-year-old, four-year-old, and a three-year-old. She said that her family stays very busy with work and school, but have lots of fun together and spend as much time together as they can.

Ms. Harris said it is very difficult to balance her career and family. Teaching requires a lot of time, and she spends all her weekends and holidays on mini-vacations to spend quality time with her loving family. She is a very organized person inside of work and out, especially when it comes to organizing events, parties, and gatherings. Additionally, she loves to travel and go on vacations a lot.

One of the things she said that might surprise everyone is that she wants to become a house flipper. This involves buying a house, remodeling it, and then selling it or renting it out to make money.

Her biggest pet peeve is perhaps lack of responsibility.  “I think everyone should be accountable for themselves and take a sense of ownership whether the situation is good or bad.”

What she said she treasures most in life is “loving God and loving family!”